Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Un-Effing-Believable

Remember when I said I sort of understood why war crimes trials weren't such a good idea?

These sorts of stories dribbling out are changing my mind.

They systematically subverted the law, committing torture, and shamelessly bragging about it with a wink and a nod. Darth Cheney is bragging still.

FOR NOTHING.

They violated basic, fundamental laws. The ones that separate us from savages. Their pretext was our protection. In the end, they achieved nothing but a shameful drubbing of our good name.

Knaves and fools.

Turnabout's fair play. How 'bout extraordinary rendition of some of these characters to a country with the balls to give them a fair trial and, if convicted, a stretch of time in someplace like Spandau.

If I were Bush, Cheney, Feith, Wolfowitz, Addington or Yoo, I'd be mighty careful about what foreign countries I vacationed in for the rest of my life.

3 comments:

Churlita said...

I also don't believe torture is very effective. I'd tell anyone anything they wanted to hear if I was being tortured. You want me to say I killed someone?: Okay. Now, you have a scapegoat, but you haven't discovered who the real killer is.

Anonymous said...

David. Please meet me to discuss. On the Tidal Basin. 3:00 am. Don't tell anyone you're coming.
Best,
Dick

David in DC said...

You can't sneak up on me. George Lucas always plays that gloomy John Williams theme when your around.

Dah-Dah-Dah Dah-De-Dah Dah-De-Dah. Dum-Dum-Dum Dum-De-Dum Dum-De-Dum.


And James Earl Jones' rasp when you exert yourself is unmistakeable.