Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Checking In

Dear Friends,

A variety of things are keeping me occupied. None of them fit blog fodder. I'm less depressed, and I'm busy, but I'm not right yet. The predominant stressors seem to have migrated from having a work-centered origin to other areas for the moment, but everything still feels fragile and overwhelming.

Thank heavens for a good pshrink, good meds and loving support

One bit of sad news that hit me a lot harder than I expected was the death of a family friend. He and my mom had known one another since public school days.

When she returned to her hometown, a young widow with a two-year-old David-not-yet-in-DC in tow, he helped her with some legal stuff, as he continued to do for the remainder of his life.

More to the point, when I was the right age for the YMCA's Indian Guides program (about ages 7 through 9), he took me along with his own sons.

He was one of my hometown's most prominent lawyers, and he was a mensch and, for me, a role model.

May his memory be for a blessing.

In other news, MiDC is thriving and summer awaits.

My fantasy baseball team is doing better than my Washington Nationals. There a little bit of cash and a lot of bragging rights at stake in the fantasy league, but I'd gladly be losing in fantasy if my Nats could put a few more crooked numbers on the scoreboard and curly W's in the standings.

And I'm still beguiled by the promise of Wikipedia and frustrated by the behavior of trollish editors there.

Hope you're all doing well.

Best,

David

7 comments:

mielikki said...

good to hear from you.
those trollish editors are frustranting, aren't they?
Good luck with the remainder of your baseball season....

dmarks said...

Trolls? Keep fighting the good fight. Thanks for checking in.

Anonymous said...

The Tribe is still having problems putting any numbers on the board. may your fantasy team be better than all that.

Bubblewench said...

Glad to hear the check in.. Summer will bring sunshine and fun. I hope. :)

Churlita said...

Good to hear from you. I'm sorry to hear about your family friend.

laura b. said...

I'm sorry for your loss. Sounds like you were very fortunate to have had this fellow in your life. Being able to remember someone with such love and respect is a great gift.

Tara said...

Thank you for letting us know how you're doing!

I'm so sorry to hear about the family friend.

Feel better soon, mm kay?