Thursday, March 20, 2008

The Cure for Vacation

I've been running non-stop since I returned home on Sunday and any lingering mood-elevating effect has entirely dissipated.

Didn't even come straight home from A.C. before I was back to being Suburbodad. RFB and MiDC were spending Sunday afternoon at a Purim carnival (both of them working their little tushies off and MiDC getting to also play some). When I crossed the Potomac from DC into Virginia, I realized they'd still be at shul, so drove straight there to help with clean-up.

Sunday night we had a wonderful visit with a cousin who was in from out of town on business. I was exhausted from the road trip but it was worth it. She's a dear person and MiDC was a perfectly charming fellow.

Monday to Wednesday are a blur, both at work and at home, just gettin' caught up.

Tuesday night we met an old friend and his family for dinner. They're in DC for vacationing and carved time out for us. Again, both their teenager and our 10-year-old were perfect, well-behaved gentlemen you'd be proud to take to any restaurant.

Their son was into "Magic: The Gathering" and shared playing tips with Monkeyboy.

Guess what deck of cards the little monkey had to buy on Wednesday and what gaming site he had to sign up for on Wednesday night? When you're ten, and a fourteen year old shows you cool stuff, you want to try it out yourself.

So far we've only got the demo version on the PC, and I've warned MiDC that we're not likely to pay for the full version, once the demo is up. With luck, the 10-year-old attention span will work to my advantage here, for once.

Wednesday evening pshrink appointment left me overwrought and questioning the value of continuing talk therapy. The meds work, but I was sadder last night and am still sadder today, than before my appointment. I honestly don't know if it's a case of "no pain, no gain" or just beating a dead horse.

I wanna run away again.

4 comments:

mielikki said...

No Pain No Gain is easier to say for those that don't have the pain...
maybe, with the weekend coming, and some rest and down time, things will start to look brighter again. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you...

Churlita said...

I've been thinking about therapy again. I'm not sure if it will make things worse or better. In general, do you feel like it helps?

Jeremy Schiffres, City Editor said...

I'll never forget (or forgive) the local kid who first exposed Marc to Pokemon cards, which led to YuGiOh and then Magic. (Kinda like going from pot to coke to heroin.) Now my son has passed on the "addiction" to a younger child. I feel SOOOOO responsible. I trust you'll be sending me the "Magic"-related bills as they pile up.
Seriously, though, it was great seeing you guys on Tuesday. We owe you dinner if you ever come up this way.

laura b. said...

I feel like it would probably do me good to 'talk to someone'. I know painful things are brought to the surface...and that we have a subconscious for a reason...but it still seems better to get stuff out there and examine it.
Get some down time and feel better soon.