Friday, September 12, 2008

Help Wanted

We're thinking about doing a fundraiser at my shul's religious school. Here's a description:

XXXXXX is very interested in working with us in a fundraiser. Their coffee is fair trade and organic etc.

They buy the whole beans and roast and grind them right in their store. They said they would sell the coffee to us at whole sale for about $X.00 a pound including the packaging into a pound bag. They would put Beth El Blend or whatever other name we might decide on, on the label. We could print out stickers with the 150 year logo printed on them and just stick it on the bag.

They would make a caffeinated blend and a decaf one. They suggested that we come by to taste and choose the coffee(s) we would want to use and to discuss all the particulars. We could make up a flyer to advertise the coffee and perhaps sell it for X - Y dollars a bag. We would then make Z - A dollars per sale. We could pre-sell it and then deliver it, or have some at the ready and sell it right then and there.

They would also be willing for us to do a tasting like during religious school hours.

I've suggested the following slogans:

Jewish Java
Beth El Blend: 100% guilt-free.
Beth El Blend: How do you think G-d gets up in the morning?
Beth El Blend: Buy this coffee to support the religious school or our kids will egg your car.
Beth El Blend: It'd be a sin to pass up a bargain like this.
Beth El Blend: The coffee that made Moishe Valdez more successful than his twin brother Juan
Beth El Blend: The official non-alcoholic beverage of the Beth El Boy Band.*

*I'm a member of the band, a group of middle-aged, paunchy, balding rock star wannabes who play at synagogue events a couple of times each year.

Now it's your turn.

Suggestions?

Playtah once won a brick this way.

8 comments:

Ashburnite said...

I like "Beth El Blend: The coffee that made Moishe Valdez more successful than his twin brother Juan," but it may be a little long.

By the way, I'm back :-)

Oh, and I'm thinking of converting :-)

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

Beth El Blend: How do you think G-d gets up in the morning?
That is kinda catchy.. I like that one the best..I'm sure whatever you name it, it will be a good choice..

mielikki said...

my vote goes for "it'd be a sin to pass up a bargain like this"

Moonbeam said...

I think you should push the "Organic" aspect. I tend to buy Organic Coffee over the other if available.

How bout "Beth El Organic Blend: Wake Up and Live".

Or how bout "Beth El Organic Blend: G-d's Bounty

I am slowbutted so I imagine I will be back with a few more suggestions as my butt kicks into gear.

David in DC said...

Thanks for the votes and additional suggestions y'all.

Ash, wow. I'll go get caught up on you as soon as I've got a chance to read your posts. In the meantime, ask anything I can help with.

dmarks said...

Dumb question: is the coffee kosher?

You could always open up a Star-of-David-bucks to sell it in, too.

Churlita said...

I think they're all great.

laura b. said...

Funny! And coffee! I think I'm in heaven.

Okay, how about -

Beth El Blend: Would it kill you to buy some coffee for a good cause?

Beth El Blend: So smooth even the Mohel drinks it.