Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Not Even Half-Betazoid

I haven't been posting about anything serious because I don't want this to turn into a running depression blog.

No further panic attacks. Yay!

Still feeling anxious and blue about a host of things. One is my job.

But today at work, I reached what may be some clarity on where one of the problems lies.

I have a detail-oriented, project-oriented job in an office where a small staff handles the care and feeding of numerous volunteer committees, who put on lunchtime educational seminars, do pro bono work, and edit a yearly Practice Manual, among other worthy endeavors. It requires multi-tasking and the ability to keep a bunch of balls in the air at once. I do it pretty well.

But I have a second job, not in my formal job description. I'm competent (or better), collegial, and empathetic. This leads to a bunch of folks seeking my opinion or advice on a host of things beyond my formal writ. Sometimes personal. Sometimes work-related. Sometimes tricky, quirky, confidential or involving folks who just "don't play well with others."

In addition to my own work, I'm doing Deanna Troi's job on Picard's Enterprise.



And I just don't have the tits for it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have already taken somewhat the second job at my new job. People are already asking me questions based on my experience..I have been there a week short of three months and some of the folks have been there 10 years. I love the new gig, don't get me wrong.

As far as that last group of folks you described...try blunt honesty with them. They might not like what they hear and leave you alone.

mielikki said...

maybe in a corset?
But NO, Moobs are kind of scary
glad you are seeming to be in a better place.

Churlita said...

so, you're an empath? Can you make money at that?

DD said...

Have you tried fake tits?

Hormone therapy might be a bit extreme.

Bubblewench said...

I HOPE you don't have the tits for it! But I know it can bring you down even more to have to take on other people's burdens.

Stop that. Now.

I am glad you are feeling a little better at the very least.

Amy said...

I think the source of Deanna's empathy was somewhere north of (or perhaps directly beneath) her "tits". But I sympathize with you. You need to keep strong boundaries at work; don't let people take advantage of your good nature.

And I'm glad you're feeling better, too.