Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Insomniac's Movie Recommendation

One great thing about insomnia is late night movies. I watched one the other night that was just awesome. A real slice of life, capturing a time and a place perfectly.

Johnny Be Good

Anthony Michael Hall as a super jock high school athlete. Robert Downey, Jr. as his comic foil and the movie's sarcastic Greek chorus. A young Uma Thurman, demonstrating in a million small ways why she was about to become one of the leading film actresses of her generation.

The movie employs subversive, sometimes surreal hyperbole to skewer big bucks sports. The teen love story has a happy ending, as does the main character's moral journey.

It's full of character actors and cameos (Jim McMahon, Howard Cosell), it's got a decent soundtrack, it's light and it's fun.

Did I mention Uma Thurman?

4 comments:

mielikki said...

I'm always watching movies like that...
good to know I'm not alone in my quest for the perfect, late late night movie!

Anonymous said...

I have viewed this movie on the late night circuit as well. It is pretty good considering it's Anthony Michael Hall on the lead.

I just watched Meatballs the other night. I could not sleep and one of the local stations was running it..."Spaz, Spaz, Spaz"

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

When LHM was first born he wouldn't sleep at night, so I was up all night watching movies and found some good ones.. That movie has become a classic.. good to watch over and over again..

Churlita said...

I can't believe I've never seen that before. I thought I'd seen every cheesy old movie ever made.