Monday, January 28, 2008

Challenger

Today is Challenger Remembrance Day at eclectic spaghetti.

I was in my first year of law school.

Had a break in classes from 12:25 to 1:10 and watched replay after replay, in horror.

My civil procedure professor had class start out with a moment of silent reflection. It was a subdued hour and 25 minutes. Professor S. was distracted, we were distracted.

There were more important things to think about. Our connection with this crew, and especially with schoolteacher Christa McAuliffe, was deeper than the "usual" shuttle launch.

Came out of class that day to see Reagan on TV, delivering the most beautiful and life-affirming speech Peggy Noonan could craft.

She crafted well.

And he delivered his lines like a pro.

George W. Bush has done the impossible. I long for the intellectual depth of the Reagan administration.

6 comments:

mielikki said...

I was in highschool. It was horrible, and tragic, and I felt so bad that their families were on the ground, watching proudly, and didn't really realize what had happened, at first. . .

Jeremy Schiffres, City Editor said...

David has said something nice about Ronald Reagan.
It's a sign of the Apocolypse.
Stock up on food an water. Gather your loved ones. Kiss the dog goodbye.
The end is near.

Anonymous said...

I try not to equate stupidity such as politics with an event such as this. This was actually something far more tragic than the political situation.

sybil law said...

High school biology class.
Horrible. I totally remember it. Awful feeling.
ANd Reagan of course did a good job! He's an actor, and knew how to deliver lines.
But I so know what you mean! :)

Churlita said...

I wrote a post about it last year. Imay have to link to it.

dmarks said...

I was in a class about remote sensing. Class topics including observation satellites, including the one that was going up in the shuttle.