Sunday, January 4, 2009

What's a Tell?

I played in a new poker game last night.

I won, which is nice.

A "tell" is something you do inadvertently, even subconsciously, the tells other players (at least those paying attention) something about your hand. It's usually very subtle.

You might remember a MASH episode where everyone realizes that Major Winchester whistles when he's got nothing.

Well, here's a freebie, if we ever play poker: Pokerface in DC got a good hand last night and promptly spilled his beer all over himself.

That's a tell.

3 comments:

Moonbeam said...

so you gave a "tell ale" :)

Churlita said...

I could never play poker. I have no poker face and I usually spill my beer at some point in the evening.

laura b. said...

Maybe the secret is constantly getting up new games before people can learn your tells!