Thursday, February 14, 2008

Extreme Tracker

Insidious truth has a whole feature based on this. I gotta admit, checking out what search queries, or what sites, refer people here can be kinda fascinating.

All of a sudden, I'm getting a spike in queries where the search terms suggest they're looking for the angrier verses of This Land is Your Land, by Woody Guthrie. No idea why. (I know why they get directed here; I posted about them once) But I can't fathom why, all at once, several people are looking for this particular bit of arcana.

It could be the onset of the recession has a bunch of unconnected people looking for the same thing, or it could be some random teacher's random homework assignment.

One thing that makes me happy is that, of the 1100 search words that have brought people here since 10/23/07, the single most frequent word is "funny" (15% of all search words).

I'm also intrigued when an exotic locale shows up as the origin of a visitor. I've had three unique vistors from the Islamic Republic of Iran and four from Malaysia.

I was all excited when I got my first visit from Cairo, but was a little disappointed when it turned out to be what I hope was an American ex-pat. Why would a real Egyption be looking for Dana Hork's 2008 SOTU Quiz?

A couple of recent visits from Brandeis with a familiar first name and last initial in their trailing data have me wondering too. But that's probably an over-active imagination.

4 comments:

dmarks said...

I guess the searches for that red-headed movie review guy have quieted down.

Churlita said...

You don't even want to know the kind of queries that lead people to my blog. Some of them are so creepy.

Anonymous said...

How do I install this tracker? I should copy and paste that code but WHERE..?!

David in DC said...

Just click on the symbol near the bottom of the page that looks like Saturn's rings got confused.