Thursday, October 25, 2007

Miss Congeniality

Do they still give out that award in the Miss America contest? I remember watching it as a kid and thinking it seemed like a pretty hollow substitute for winning the whole thing.

It sure feels that way when you come in second place for a job you really want.

Four interviews in the course of two days, several weeks apart. Walked out both times thinking I'd really put my best foot forward.

A couple of weeks waiting, with hope slowly diminishing.

One very awkward conversation with an old acquaintance who had to call me to give me the bad news. It had the tenor of one of those sucky "it's not you, it's me" conversations at the end of a relationship. (I think I, playing the role of Avis, was stronger in connections with the D.C. poverty law community, but Mr. Hertz was clearly a better fit in the corporate environment of the prospective employer.)

A few more weeks before I could blog about it without feeling rotten.

It's really O.K. now, but I was very bummed.

Yesterday, one of my A-number-one friends in the community of bloggers asked me what ever happened to the potential new job I'd interviewed for.

Then last night a friend from the synagogue asked the same question.

When I realized it didn't ache to answer them, I realized it was time to post about it.

My apologies to anyone whose fingers were still crossed. :)

9 comments:

ANON1 said...

Keep your head up sir. Sometimes things do really happen for a reason.

Have a nice weekend!

mielikki said...

oh, well, that just kind of stinks. But, I am a firm believer that something better will come along. . .

Tara said...

I've received the job version of the Miss Congeniality award. It was phrased as, "We'll keep your resume on file for six months if something else comes up". Oh thank you, sir/ma'am! You've been so kind.

You're competent and smart enough that you'll find one heck of an awesome job that you'll love. Sending you good luck vibes!

laura b. said...

I'm sorry to hear of your disappointment David. Their loss. The right position is on its way and every moment brings it closer.

Moonbeam said...

Hey...nuttin' wrong with being Mr. Congeniality. Seems you play well with others and that is a very big plus.

Hang in there, the perfect fit is within your reach and grasp.

I am mad and sad they did not hire you, therefore I am putting a mojohex thingie on them. Their loss, but another law firms gain when they find you.

Bubblewench said...

Sorry to hear that, but I'm glad you are ok with it now.

Something else always comes up when you least expect it.


PS. Wilson said she wants to play with Ted, but I told her no, she'd probably end up eating him. She promised she wouldn't..but she had that look in her eye. But tell Ted hi from her.

Churlita said...

I'm so sorry. I have a really hard time dealing with rejection, so I can't even imagine how you feel.

I'm sure something better will come along for you.

Anonymous said...

I will take the other approach....may the people who rejected you and the person that came in first burn in the pits of hell for eternity--they stole it from you and you deserved it more.

Evil is as evil does!!

Val said...

Sorry you were bummed out... but really, it just wasn't the right job for you. That one will present itself to you and you'll be so happy that you are available for it. Keep the faith.