Friday, May 23, 2008

I'm Not Sure I've Ever Needed a Weekend So Badly

And I can't even begin to list the reasons why.

Some are private. Some are secret.

Some are routine and others exceptional.

Some are at the forefront of my consciousness.

Others gnaw away at me from subconscious realms.

People are sick.

People are dying.

In Burma. In China. In Iraq and Afghanistan.

In Darfur.

In my home town. In yours.

I'm empty and aching and I don't know why.
-------------

1000 non-redeemable, non-transferable points to the first commenter to identify the lyric in the last line above by song and artist.
5000 non-redeemable, non-transferable points to the first commenter who can name the 70's art rock band who used to do a cover version of the song as an awesome encore.

I hope you have a restful long weekend.

I hope I do, too.

12 comments:

sybil law said...

Well, that right thar is "America" by Simon and Garfunkel.
I listened to their greatest hits album over and over in high school. It helped me fall asleep, and then "Cecilia" would come on and wake me up all over again!

David in DC said...

1000 non-redeemable, non-transferable points to Sybil.

Amy said...

And Yes did the cover version.
Have a restorative weekend!

Jeremy Schiffres, City Editor said...

S&G and Yes are correct, of course.
I always regretted not being able to go that S&G reunion concert in Central Park in 1981, but I was lucky enough to seem them when they toured in 2003, and they sounded as crisp as ever. They may look a lot older than 40 years ago, but their harmonies are still pitch-perfect.

David in DC said...

Amy wins 5000 non-transferable, nonredeemable points.

(Void where prohibited by law)

It's good to be the Czarina.

The city editor is a little late, but correct, too. He's entitled to be a little late. He graduated a year later than Amy and I did. But he was only about twelve hours behind her this time.

Looks like the class of '81 is gaining on us.

Churlita said...

Damn. I was too late to win the prize. I hope you feel better about things soon. The world is a mess, but I guess it always has been. Sometimes it weighs on us more than others.

Anonymous said...

Hope you enjoyed it and it was the magic potion you were seeking.

mielikki said...

hope this was a good weekend for you.

Bubblewench said...

I hope you had a great weekend...

laura b. said...

I hope your weekend was restorative.

I am amazed at how little press the devastation in China has gotten here in the States.

8 said...

I'm empty, and I'm aching, and I don't know why, either.

Great post.

dmarks said...

I got here kind of late. And I love "Yes"