Friday, March 21, 2008

Churlita Asks

In the last post's comments, Churlita asks:

I've been thinking about therapy again. I'm not sure if it will make things worse or better. In general, do you feel like it helps?

Here goes:
In general, it helps. I know who to call, right away, if ever I have suicidal thoughts, or am so panicky I cannot function.

But when things are going relatively well, it can feel like a waste of time. Especially if you're being so boring, tedious or repetitive that the pshrink is having trouble staying awake.

And when you touch on sore spots, it's not always cathartic. Sometimes it's just ripping a protective scab off a big wound. Which I think is what happened Wednesday night and why I typed the post Thursday that I did.

Things are slightly better today.

3 comments:

laura b. said...

I can see what you are saying. Some things shouldn't be picked at...but since they are there, no matter how buried, does it seem better to open them up in a safe and nurturing place than on your own?

Anonymous said...

Basically if it's not broke don't fix it. But, when things are not going good, finding someone to talk to who can help would be a definite plus. I don't speak from any experience of my own, but my girl needs help sometimes just to get through a tough stretch. Since I am not the most helpful, I always consider it a good idea she seeks someone out.

Churlita said...

That's what I'm worried about - the picking apart of scabs. I don't need any fresh blood. What I do need, is some help with skills to keep the negative thoughts out of head every now and again.

Thanks for your thoughtful answer.