Sunday, January 25, 2009

Must. Look. Forward. Must. Look. Forward. ARRRRGH!

OK. I get why war crimes trials for the folks at the top of the so-called war on terror are not high on President Obama's to-do list, I really do.

But then I read this, detailing in convincing fashion how brave warriors tried to follow the law at Guantanamo, only to be torpedoed by the civilians at the top of the chain of command, and I just want to scream.

If we can't jail Rummy and Darth Cheney for war crimes, can we at least disbar the lawyers who wrote the opinions that put the barest fig leaf of pseudo-legality over this otherwise naked assault on American law and values?

Mr. Yoo, Mr. Addington? As lawyers, you've ill-served your clients, shamed your profession and stained your nation's honor.

I understand Mr. Putin is looking for some experienced shyster-mouthpieces.

You're strongly encouraged to apply.

And don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out, boys.

3 comments:

Churlita said...

yeah, it's a bit odd when we say we're trying to protect our freedoms when not protecting anyone else's. I thought our laws were in place to protect everyone.

laura b. said...

Shameful. I hope the detainees do end up back under proper military care.

david mcmahon said...

Intriguing start to the Obama era. You really do have a President who is an orator in the truest sense.